If you love your property’s location, but its interior doesn’t fit your needs any longer, a remodel is the best way to make it functional and beautiful. Where do you start when you need to renovate your home interior? Your house’s design should fit your lifestyle.
Is it possible to do the work yourself, or should you hire a professional contractor? What type of timeline and budget do you have to work with?
Read on and gain answers to these questions and more with practical tips and insights that will put you at ease before your remodeling project begins.
Home Interior Remodeling Preparation
1. Assess your home’s problems.
What is it about your current home that needs to change? Do you need to refinish your basement, upgrade your kitchen, or remodel your master bathroom? Do you want to change a single room or a few rooms? Prioritize your remodeling projects and decide which one you will start with.
2. Define your goals.
Do you want to add more space, function, and beauty to your home? What are your style preferences? What function do you need a space to serve that it isn’t currently serving? What features do you want in the remodeled space?
Put words and pictures to your remodeling goals. Create a vision board with your desires on it.
- If you’re transforming your kitchen – What type of appliances and special features would you like? Do you want to add a breakfast nook with a bay window to increase natural light? What type of island features are important to you? Which cabinetry, countertops, flooring, and fixtures are you dreaming about? What about your kitchen’s lighting?
- If you’re renovating your bathroom – Does the space need reconfiguring? Do you need more storage so you can enjoy clutter-free living? What type of energy-saving features would you like in your bathroom remodel? There are many smart technology amenities available for bathrooms. Which smart products would you like to include in your remodel? Can you boost ventilation (and decrease moisture problems) with a new bathroom vent fan?
- If you’re remodeling your unfinished basement – What purpose would you like your basement to serve? Do you need a home office, a family room for recreation, a second kitchen, a home gym, a theater room or a craft room? Is there a bathroom in your basement? Can you create a suite by adding a bedroom downstairs? What type of style do you see for your basement? Do you have flooring in mind?
3. Establish your budget.
Ensure the remodeling projects you choose will add value to your home. Secure financing and set a realistic budget by determining:
- Project scope
- Labor costs
4. Plan ahead.
- Decide on a floor plan
- Choose your materials
- Plan your project’s schedule
5. Prepare your home so your project minimizes disruption.
- If you are scheduling a kitchen remodel, create a space with kitchen essentials that you can use as a “mini-kitchen” while your renovation takes place.
- Remove everything from your kitchen necessary for remodeling to begin.
- Make plans for pets and small children during business hours while renovating your home.
Should You DIY or Hire a Contractor?
1. Contractors have the design experience to deliver optimal results.
They help you create a plan of action and choose the right design elements to make your dreams come to life.
2. Your remodel will go faster when you hire a professional contractor to do the work.
Hiring a contractor makes the remodeling process more efficient. You will get your desired results quicker than with the DIY route.
3. Their construction experience ensures that you will get optimal results—safely.
When electrical or structural work is included, it’s particularly important that safety comes first. A professional contractor will take all necessary safety precautions when renovating your home.
4. The pros provide all the services you need to complete a home renovation.
The contractor will create a schedule, get permits, and coordinate with designers, suppliers, and technicians, so your project’s timeline runs smoothly. You won’t have to communicate with multiple people to get things done. You’ll have one point of contact with the contractor, and they will take it from there.
Select the Best Contractor for Your Home Interior Remodeling
Ask how long they have been in the remodeling business.
The answer to this will directly impact your project’s outcome.
For your protection, make sure they are licensed and insured.
If they aren’t licensed and insured, keep looking.
Learn about their reputation.
Ask for a few referrals.
Find out their history for resolving conflict.
Ask how complaints are resolved.
Communication is key.
Once you have hired the right contractor and planned your renovation, stay involved in the remodeling process. If there is an online portal with pictures and updates available, look at it daily.
Ask any questions you have along the way. Communicate with the person the company has designated as your project manager.
Expert Remodeling from a Local Twin Cities Contractor
You can add value to the house you love and stay planted in the location you enjoy while creating more usable space with an interior home remodel.
At VL Builders, we offer kitchen, bathroom, and basement remodeling for your Minnesota home. We take the time to listen to your goals, discuss options and timelines, and ensure we’re on the same page before your home renovation begins.
Learn more about our home remodeling services.